brainstorming for UDS-N - Package Selection and Defaults

Jani Monoses jani at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 1 20:41:22 BST 2010

On 10/01/2010 01:01 AM, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Thursday, September 30, 2010 05:22:48 pm Mario Limonciello wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 15:52, Jorge O. Castro<jorge at ubuntu.com>  wrote:
>>> You are both correct, what an opportune time to finally get rid of the
>>> insane notion that an operating system needs an IRC client by default!
>>>
>>> (I am totally serious, and flames offlist please. :) )
>>
>> I have to agree with Jorge here.  Outside of my geeky friends and fellow
>> Ubuntu developers, most people don't know what IRC even is.
>
> The only mode of real-time tech support within the Ubuntu community?

But the notion of real time tech support itself is also quite geeky.
Users who are savvy enough will probably google or maybe search the
Ubuntu fora directly for answers, while the others will rely on people
who installed Ubuntu on their machine for tech support.

I am not sure how popular LP Answers is, but if IRC is really needed
then providing an official web-based IRC client/proxy by default will
probably cover the real time interaction requirement without the
complexities that come with a fully featured IRC client.

Jani