[Ubuntuone-users] CouchDB 1.0 SRU to 10.04 LTS

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at err.no
Sat Nov 27 21:08:49 GMT 2010

]] Rodney Dawes

(I've trimmed the Cc list, I expect people to read either -devel or
u1-users-)

Hi,

| The problem with shipping couchdb 1.0 as a separate binary package (or
| set thereof), means that it's no longer a simple SRU to 10.04. We would
| also need to provide an SRU for desktopcouch on 10.04. As well as an SRU
| for couchdb on 10.10 (which already ships 1.0, and would need to
| reconcile the split on upgrade), and get the same dependency changes for
| 10.10 into 11.04.

Sure, it's more work.  On the other hand, you won't break an unknown set
of user apps out there that use and expect couchdb 0.10.  Please do also
take into consideration that 10.04 is an LTS and people expect more
stability from such a version than they do from a «normal»
release. Ubuntu wants to be seen as a serious player in the server
market, and I think changing major versions like you're proposing would
jeopardize that.

| There are also other security fixes included in the set of changes from
| 0.10 to 1.0, which means anyone actually using 0.10 is probably going to
| have to update anyway.

As Clints point out, those should be backported, so I'm not sure why
this is relevant.

--
Tollef Fog Heen