SSH and the Ubuntu Server

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Fri Nov 19 08:43:32 GMT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 13:59 -0700, Alex Chiang wrote:
> * Dustin Kirkland <kirkland at ubuntu.com>:
> >
> > If you didn't get SSH installed the first time around, you're going to
> > have to mosey back down the datacenter to 'apt-get install
> > openssh-server' before you can do anything remotely with your server.
> [...]
> > But that assumes you can *get* to your server.  I'm arguing that SSH
> > is generally needed to access your server and get to the point where
> > you can login and do useful things with it after installation (like a
> > running second stage installer).
>
> I would expect that a data center set up in this manner would
> also have remote serial consoles to all the machines there too,
> using conserver or conman something similar.

HP ILOs (whatever dell or IBM are using) or RIBs (Peppercon , Intel,
etc.) are most commonly used remote console access for out of band
administration.

> At least that's how I'd set up *my* data center. ;)

Well, in a good datacenter you won't have to deal with CD media or ISO
media setup...your deployment of your OS is already automated, and
installs SSHd automatically ;) including a configuration which matches
your needs.

Regards,

\sh
--