SSH and the Ubuntu Server

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 18 20:47:57 GMT 2010

Stefan Potyra <stefan.potyra at informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Thursday 18 November 2010 19:34:58 schrieb Robbie Williamson:

>> > Er. :-)
>> >
>> > (In seriousness, any good-quality second stage would require some level
>> > of cooperation from the first stage.  We tried that and it was awful.)
>>
>> So I see the 1st stage as just installing the minimal server, then we
>> boot to a login prompt...user logs in and can either do his/her business
>> as desired or launch the 2nd stage (which they are told about in a 1st
>> boot motd-type message).
>
> Would
>  command-to-start-second-stage-installer
> amount to a better usability compared to
>  apt-get install openssh-server
> with the original question in mind?

If you didn't get SSH installed the first time around, you're going to
have to mosey back down the datacenter to 'apt-get install
openssh-server' before you can do anything remotely with your server.

The aforementioned "command-to-start-second-stage-installer" could be
displayed in the MOTD, like our cloud images.  Something like "To
finish customizing this server, you can run 'sudo tasksel' now" or
whatever.

But that assumes you can *get* to your server.  I'm arguing that SSH
is generally needed to access your server and get to the point where
you can login and do useful things with it after installation (like a
running second stage installer).

:-Dustin