restricting dmesg

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 16 21:16:58 GMT 2010

Hi Soren,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:04:55PM +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
> On 16-11-2010 18:50, Kees Cook wrote:
> > I figure we could add a useful error message to "dmesg" to provide
> > education about the change, which would suggest using "sudo" or
> > pointing people to the new /proc/sys/kernel/dmesg_restrict sysctl.
>
> Have we gotten any kind of feedback on the similar changes that were
> made to strace?

Not a peep that I'm aware of. I am assuming that the verbose errors out
of strace, ltrace, and gdb were enough to address it, though maybe there
won't be noise until the restriction is in an LTS version.

-Kees

(Though technically, the verbose error vanished briefly in gdb and that
caused some confusion, but has since been fixed.)

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team