continuing conversation from UDS-N - Application Review Board

Allison Randal allison at canonical.com
Tue Nov 16 20:21:46 GMT 2010

On 11/16/2010 12:08 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> IIRC, FHS expects /opt/<vendor>/<package>.  Perhaps Canonical should register
> "canonical" if they haven't already and then allocate /opt/canonical/quickly
> or /opt/canonical/arb namespace to this.  Given the way FHS anticipated /opt
> to be used, I think Canonical (although certainly not ideal) may be the best
> choice.

/opt/canonical has a similar problem to /opt/ubuntu, in implying
"officialness" or support from someone (in this case Canonical as a
company, rather than Ubuntu as a community/project/distro).

But, there seems to be a fundamental tension here between "official
enough to register with LANANA" and "not too official", so perhaps an
added level in the path is the best solution, like /opt/ubuntu/extras.
It is specified in the FHS "The structure of the directories below
/opt/<provider> is left up to the packager of the software..." with
/opt/<provider>/<packagename> as a suggestion, not a requirement.

Allison