continuing conversation from UDS-N - Application Review Board

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Nov 16 20:08:53 GMT 2010

On Tuesday, November 16, 2010 03:01:23 pm Allison Randal wrote:
> On 11/16/2010 11:38 AM, Rick Spencer wrote:
> > Does "/opt/ubuntu/" perhaps suggest a bit of "officialness" or support
> > from the Ubuntu community, whereas these apps are specifically *not*
> > suppose to have such a connotation?
>
> That was mentioned in the meeting. Also the possibility of going with
> simply /opt/<appname>, though there is some risk of namespace collision
> there with user-compiled apps.
>
> Any other suggestions on path names? This is still pretty open, but
> we'll need to lock it down soon, because we're making changes to Quickly
> and other packages for Natty to support whatever install path we choose.
>
> Allison

IIRC, FHS expects /opt/<vendor>/<package>.  Perhaps Canonical should register
"canonical" if they haven't already and then allocate /opt/canonical/quickly
or /opt/canonical/arb namespace to this.  Given the way FHS anticipated /opt
to be used, I think Canonical (although certainly not ideal) may be the best
choice.

Scott K