ftbfs in subversion related to linker change?

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 16 00:41:51 GMT 2010

Matthias talks about changes in shared library linking behavior for Natty
here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2010-November/031991.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2010-October/000772.html
http://wiki.debian.org/ToolChain/DSOLinking#Onlylinkwithneededlibraries

I'm seeing a ftbfs for the subversion that I think is related:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/subversion/+bug/670139

Note that my branch fixes the Python 2.7 issue originally mentioned, but the
builds still fail with errors like this:

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libfakeroot-sysv.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

Since the same source package builds in my Maverick chroots, but fails with
this error in my Natty chroots, I'm wondering if it's related to the gcc
changes.  I did try adding this to the rules file:

export EXTRA_LDFLAGS := '-Wl,--no-as-needed'

but it did not seem to help (also tried $LDFLAGS).  I'm not entirely sure it
took effect.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.
-Barry