continuing conversation from UDS-N - Application Review Board

Allison Randal allison at canonical.com
Mon Nov 15 15:19:15 GMT 2010

On 11/11/2010 07:52 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> I wasn't in all the the ARB related sessions, so perhaps this got rediscussed
> in a session I didn't attend, but my recollection was that the idea for
> Maverick was to put everything in /opt except for things like .desktop files
> that need to be in the user's path to work and to drop those into an extras
> specific location that would be in the user's path, but not the system path.

Yes, that's what this proposal is saying, though in more detail.
Specifically, apps can only install outside /opt when it's impossible to
install or run in /opt with current technology, and are expected to
either install in a custom path (named extras) or to modify the filename
(with extras) so the files for the app don't pollute the general
namespace. We can't have them install outside the system path, though,
because the precise problem with these files is that they can't install
or run outside the standard system paths.

I'll edit a bit to make those points clearer in the draft.

Allison