Naming sessions in Launchpad for UDS

Duncan McGreggor duncan.mcgreggor at canonical.com
Wed Nov 10 14:45:46 GMT 2010

On 11/10/2010 02:53 AM, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> (I know I'm very late to this discussion, but want to make sure this is
> clarified)
>
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 03:27:29PM -0600, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
>> Let me break that down for easy viewing:
>>  * Application Developers
>>  * Application Selection and Defaults
>>  * Cloud
>>  * Development Process
>>  * Hardware Compatibility
>>  * Other
>>  * Ubuntu the Project
>>
>> We had 9 tracks last year and filled them pretty well. We're looking at
>> at 2 less this year (as defined above) and probably even more sessions
>> than last time (every year our material has grown).
>
> If you missed it, you might want to review
> http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/05/27/rethinking-the-ubuntu-developer-summit/
> for some rationale for updating the format.
>
> We haven't added or subtracted tracks; we've arranged them on a different
> axis.  Sessions are now listed by topic, rather than by which team happened
> to submit them.

Right, all that was understood. At the time that I wrote that email,
there were several significant inconsistencies between what was
originally proposed on the ubuntu-devel mail list, what was on the
tracks page, and the list of tracks on schedule page. Within a day, this
was reconciled.

>> Unless we're cutting out slots and pushing outlying session topics into
>> the community for discussions instead of proper UDS sessions...
>
> We do not "push topics into the community", because we are part of the
> community.  UDS is a community event, and all of the sessions at UDS are
> "proper", whether they come from a Canonical engineering team like yours or
> an individual with a passionate interest in the subject.

Yeah, apologies for the poor phrasing on that. I was trying to
differentiate between sessions discussed at UDS and those discussed in a
less formal, non-UDS format.