The default file descriptor limit (ulimit -n 1024) is too low

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 9 04:52:39 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 07:06:19PM -0800, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> On 11/05/2010 02:21 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 01:46:23PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >> We should also fix it so pam_limits is able to grab the kernel default
> >> limits from somewhere, instead of hard-coding these at compile time.  I
> >> think you suggested reading /proc/1/limits for this, though it's less than
> >> ideal to be parsing this file to get that info.

> > Well, the text there is unlikely to change, but it would be nice to have a
> > more stable result. On the other hand, reading from /proc/1/limits means
> > that per-container PAM would get the "right" limits, based on that
> > container's init process.

> Is there a launchpad bug for this?  If not I suggest appropriating
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/663090  so we don't lose this
> discussion.

That bug is about raising the default hard limit, and ought to be assigned
to the linux package (and optionally the pam package).  Fixing pam to pick
up the kernel defaults automatically is an entirely separate issue and
should be tracked as a separate bug.  (No, there isn't currently a bug
report anywhere for this - feel free to open one.)