New packages from Debian

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 5 13:49:25 GMT 2010

Hi folks,

Please don't upload packages from Debian NEW unmodified directly to
Ubuntu.  When you upload these directly, they tend to clash with my
new-source runs, producing error messages which I then need to spend
time cleaning up.

Normally speaking - that is, once we get over the initial work of
opening a new release, up to Debian import freeze - we import new source
packages from Debian regularly.  I've got to the point now where I'm
doing this every working day.  Unless you're in a hurry (in which case
you might use a PPA) or there seems to be a problem, there's no need to
explicitly ask for these.

The exceptions when you do need to ask for new source packages to be
imported from Debian are:

 * after Debian import freeze

 * if they're not in unstable, but in e.g. experimental instead

 * if they've previously been published in Ubuntu (check
   https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/SOURCEPACKAGE/+publishinghistory),
   or are on the sync blacklist
   (http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/sync-blacklist.txt), in
   which case we'll only import them after manual review which isn't
   scheduled for any particular time

 * if they build binary packages which are already built by some other
   package in the current development series, in which case we may
   process them by hand without prompting but there are no guarantees

 * if there seems to be some unreasonable delay (more than three working
   days)

In those cases, feel free to use requestsync to poke us into doing this;
sync requests made this way will generally be processed within a working
day.  Otherwise, you should just be able to wait for this to happen in
bulk, which is less work for everyone.

Thanks,