License of package luzsans-ttf

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Tue Nov 2 10:59:33 GMT 2010

On 02/11/10 10:34, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Sebastian Kosch wrote:
>> http://netbook-remix.archive.canonical.com/updates/pool/public/l/luzsans-ttf/
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/115258
>
> I've replied stating that it claims to be GPL (in debian/copyright,
> although without Font Exception or source code).

Hi,

I have personally not heard of this font before and I seriously doubt
that a H&FJ design / HP corporate font got released under a
appropriate font-specific libre license. That would be quite surprising!

AFAICT the metadata of the font currently has:
"08/03 Luz, HP New Futura   The Hoefler Type Foundry, 1998-2003." and no
other indication about licensing.

If anyone has it directly from the foundry authors or commissioned
company (partners or whatever) that the font is actually released openly
then they need to say that clearly and prove it with the appropriate
documentation and metadata in the source tree: the ttf name table
filled-in with the current information, a detached licensing file and a
FONTLOG are the best way to do that.

Seems to me that this is a case (sadly happening too often) of not doing
proper diligence in checking the authorship and licensing information
for font software before packaging it and adding it to the archive.
Please, let's to be more serious about respecting upstream author's
copyright notices and licensing choices however restricted they may be.
debian/copyright has to reflect reality. The open font community
provides tools to help you do these checks properly. If a particular
font is not open then it simply doesn't belong in the archive. If
there's an official agreement or commissioning it's great, but it needs
to be clearly indicated and propagated to the metadata and documentation
of the font. Depending on the situation advocacy to the upstream authors
and commissioning entity can be helpful - and has been successful
various times in the Debian Font Task Force and elsewhere across the
open font community - but in the case of a big corporate visual identity
font projects things are obviously different.

The issues of the appropriateness of the GPL-only approach for font
software is a whole separate issue...

HTH,
Bye,

--