License of package luzsans-ttf

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Nov 2 14:43:58 GMT 2010

Hi!

On 2 November 2010 11:59, Nicolas Spalinger <nicolas_spalinger at sil.org> wrote:
> On 02/11/10 10:34, Paul Sladen wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Sebastian Kosch wrote:
>>> http://netbook-remix.archive.canonical.com/updates/pool/public/l/luzsans-ttf/
>>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/115258
>>
>> I've replied stating that it claims to be GPL (in debian/copyright,
>> although without Font Exception or source code).
>
> I have personally not heard of this font before and I seriously doubt
> that a H&FJ design / HP corporate font got released under a
> appropriate font-specific libre license. That would be quite surprising!

Yes! And yet it seems to be true.

While the URL Paul mentions,

http://netbook-remix.archive.canonical.com/updates/pool/public/l/luzsans-ttf/

seems potentially an unofficial URL that some well-meaning but sadly
misinformed packager has uploaded to, this URL seems definitively
official:

http://hpmini.archive.canonical.com/mie/dists/hardy-hpmini/universe/source/

On typophile.com/node/43643 Christopher Adams writes, "LuzSans is used
on the keyboard of HP Mini netbooks, and also on said computers as the
default Window title font in HP's Mobile Internet Experience (MIE), a
Linux distro based on Ubuntu 8.04."

So it seems HP have published this as part of the HP Mini distro.

> If anyone has it directly from the foundry authors or commissioned
> company (partners or whatever) that the font is actually released openly
> then they need to say that clearly

I'll ask Bdale Garbee at HP about it.

Cheers
Dave