New software created for Ubuntu

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Sat May 1 11:39:07 BST 2010

Hi,

On Sat, 01 May 2010, Elliot Murphy wrote:
> I want to fix things so it's easier to have desktopcouch in Debian. Sorry
> for the big delays in responding. Ken forwarded your mails to me last week
> but I was busy working on Ubuntu 10.04 release. Now that is completed I want
> to help with desktopcouch and CouchDB and Erlang in debian. I like to push
> code upstream whenever possible, for example Rodrigo has proposed
> couchdb-glib as part of Gnome.

Great!

> Do you think Ubuntu One music store and file syncing client software would
> also be welcome in Debian?

Speaking for myself, I would like to try out the new ubuntu software
without having to build from source and/or without trying in a VM.
So for me they are welcome.

It might impose some small constraints from the beginning (branding should
be vendor-specific for example, much like what's done in debian-installer)
but otherwise should be painless to integrate in Debian: there's no reason
to have opposition on new software, people are free to not use them.

But do you have Debian developers on your team so that you're able to
upload new packages to Debian ?

(Another recent case has been the software center, it could have been
pushed in Debian from the start)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog