-nouveau now set as the default driver for Nvidia hardware

Aurélien Naldi aurelien.naldi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 10:41:03 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Luke Yelavich <themuso at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 05:00:09AM EST, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> TheMuso has sent in a patch to disable nouveau on PPC, which I'll try to
>> get in for a3.  Pity it doesn't work, I'd encourage those with access to
>> ppc hardware to continue testing nouveau independently to resolve the
>> issues, since we're not going to be putting energy into -nv going
>> forward.
>
> To clarify, for now the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package will be removed from the powerpc CDs, as it depends on a linux backport modules package that is not available for powerpc. I am going to look into getting such a package built this weekend, as I'd like to see this re-enstated for now. This is a temporary work-around to get disks buildable and usable again.
>
> Luke

Hi,

I just read the annoucement that nouveau is now part of the main
kernel package, which sounds great but it doesn't seem to be the case
on PPC. Is it blacklisted, blocked in some way or did I just not look
well enough ?
BTW, I don't see this change in linux-image's changelog.Debian file.

I can install the nouveau xorg driver and X works but the resolution
seems to be something like 800x600 and the colors are broken, is it
due to the lack of kernel driver ?

I'd be glad to test on PPC, but understand that this arch is far from
a priority...

Best regards.

--
Aurélien Naldi