feedback: installation lucid on my laptop

Michael Wahlbrink michael.wahlbrink at walware.de
Thu Mar 4 19:47:49 GMT 2010

Hi Brice,
I've thougt my mail was lost in the 'approval-pipeline' ;-)
So a big thank's for the answer!
Comments see below:

Am 04.03.2010 18:09, schrieb Bryce Harrington:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 09:21:31AM +0100, Michael Wahlbrink wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Yesterday i've tried to install lucid on my notebook (thinkpad T61 with
>> Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphics). I've installed it via the live image,
>> because I need during the installation, and i didn't get managed it to
>> get this work with the alternate disk (my preferred way, because of the
>> lvm support). First I tried the daily image. But if lucid switches in
>> graphic mode (X starts) the show was over.... just some colored pixels
>> all over the sceen... :( I was able to change the caonsoles but there
>> was no activated one... The short end was I've used alpha2 successfully
>> to install lucid on the thinkpad. There must been a change between
>> alpha2 and the daily from yesterday. Should I file a bug (against
>> what?)? Or should I do further testing? Or is this already known and
>> will be resolved soon, so its only useless double information which we
>> all can forget ;-)
>
> We switched to nouveau as the default driver for nvidia hardware between
> alpha2 and alpha3.  That seems to be the most likely suspect to me given
> the time frame and hardware.  You can still manually force it to use the
> -nv driver as a workaround; if that does work around it, be sure to file
> a bug (`ubuntu-bug xorg`).
Ok thhe driver switch sounds reasonable for me. As a linux user and
admin (for over ten years now) - but not a developer - I assumed
something related with an X driver (the reason of this feedback mail).
The problem was that this issue shows up when I boot from the live cd,
to get lucid installed via wlan. First I'll try alpha3 and the actual
daily build at the weekend. If the problem still exist I'll file a bug.
Next related question is: Is it possibe to force the live-cd to use the
nv-driver? At the moment the hardware is not here :-(

> Another idea is plymouth, as many people have had troubles getting X to
> boot due to plymouth issues.  However your symptoms are a bit different
> from what others have reported.  Still, could be worth your time to
> review the existing plymouth bug reports.  (Workaround is to uninstall
> plymouth.)

Ok, I don't think this is the right way.... After the installation of
alpha2 and aplying all updates the system starts up.
But I'll see what the further investigation will show at the weekend.
You will get a report.

Thanks for your help
Micha