LVM2 update/Ubuntu changes

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jun 25 04:50:19 BST 2010

I've been hoping to see the LVM2 package updated in maverick for the new
upstream snapshot merge support, allowing testing of updates with the
possibility of reverting when things go tits up.  It seems that this has
not been done because the last time Ubuntu merged the package from
debian, it was such a nightmare, nobody can make heads or tails of the
bzr history and nobody wants to touch it again.  I've been looking at it
trying to merge it myself, and it seems that Ubuntu is carrying a number
of quilt patches that do not apply to the new upstream sources, and have
no documentation to help me figure out what they are supposed to do and
if they are still needed.

Can anyone provide some description of what the following undocumented
patches are supposed to do, and why they are required?

implicit-pointer.patch
install.patch
libdm-atomic.patch
libdm-event-static.patch