LVM2 update/Ubuntu changes

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 29 16:28:42 BST 2010

Hi Phillip,

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:50:19PM -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:
> I've been hoping to see the LVM2 package updated in maverick for the new
> upstream snapshot merge support, allowing testing of updates with the
> possibility of reverting when things go tits up.  It seems that this has
> not been done because the last time Ubuntu merged the package from
> debian, it was such a nightmare, nobody can make heads or tails of the
> bzr history and nobody wants to touch it again.  I've been looking at it
> trying to merge it myself, and it seems that Ubuntu is carrying a number
> of quilt patches that do not apply to the new upstream sources, and have
> no documentation to help me figure out what they are supposed to do and
> if they are still needed.
>
> Can anyone provide some description of what the following undocumented
> patches are supposed to do, and why they are required?
>
> implicit-pointer.patch
> install.patch
> libdm-atomic.patch
> libdm-event-static.patch
> libdm-static.patch
> libs-cleanup.patch
> rules-subdir.patch

These patches are in the original upstream Debian package:
    implicit-pointer.patch
    install.patch
    libdm-atomic.patch
    libdm-static.patch
    libs-cleanup.patch

At least one of these is documented in the changelog already:

  * Fix implicit pointer conversion. (closes: #516867)

And some have likely been removed as documented in the new upstream
changelog:

  * Don't longer build static libraries.

The remaining two from Ubuntu are documented in the changelog, and have
been forwarded to Debian:
    libdm-event-static.patch
    rules-subdir.patch

    - add packages for upstream event manager (Debian bug 514706):
      - debian/patches/libdm-event-static.patch: force static library build.
      - debian/patches/rules-subdir.patch: update to reorder build targets.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team