Testing needed for GRUB EFI support

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 8 23:07:45 BST 2010

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 06:04:38PM -0400, Chase Douglas wrote:
> > I am interested in results from all of the following general categories
> > of x86 systems, both 32-bit and 64-bit:
> >
> >  * BIOS (if you don't know, it's BIOS)
> >  * Intel-based Mac
> >  * Other EFI system
> >
> > Please report results in the following format so that I can collate them
> > easily:
> >
> >   System: [brief description of your system, with manufacturer and model]
> >   Boots from CD: [yes/no]
> >   $prefix when booted from CD: [result of 'echo $prefix']
>
> Any interest in knowing whether it boots from usb stick as well? Intel
> Macs won't boot from usb sticks no matter what I try. I'd be delighted
> if this solved the issue.

Sebastien Bacher said that the test image I have didn't boot from USB,
although I'd hoped that it might, so I didn't want to waste people's
time by asking for testing of that.  If you want to try dding it to a
USB stick and booting from it (usb-creator and similar things won't work
on this), then that can't hurt so feel free to try.

However, note that ideally I'm not actually trying to change behaviour
on Intel Macs here, since I'm told that it's best for them to boot using
BIOS mode so that certain drivers continue to work.  (I'm not sure I'm
100% clear on how to achieve this, mind you ...)