Lucid changes to Firefox default search provider

John Vivirito gnomefreak at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 12:53:03 GMT 2010

On 01/26/10 17:46, Rick Spencer wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 17:36 -0500, Dan Trevino wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Rick Spencer
>> <rick.spencer at canonical.com> wrote:
>>         On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 15:14 -0500, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
>>
>>         > Since Google is the current default, will the switch to
>>         Yahoo only
>>         > have an effect on new installs?
>>
>>         No, this will effect upgrades if the computer is currently set
>>         Google. This is not because of anything special for this
>>         particular
>>         change. This is because Ubuntu always changes to new defaults
>>         for users
>>         who are on old defaults.
>>
>>         However, if you are set to wikipedia as your search provider
>>         (for
>>         example) then that means that you are no longer using the
>>         default, so
>>         Ubuntu won't change you to the new default.
>>
>>         HTH
>>
>>         Cheers, Rick
>>

>> During the upgrade, are users going to be notified about this change?
>
> Outside of release notes, probably not. I don't think it will be much
> different than other times that defaults are changed in Ubuntu.
>
> Cheers, Rick

We should really have it somewhere users can see it outside of
release note or at the very least we should offer a comment
that points to release notes. Not many users read release
notes so they would never know and end up reporting bugs. that
is a lot of bugs to triage and set invalid.

--
Sincerely Yours,
    John Vivirito

https://launchpad.net/~gnomefreak
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JohnVivirito
Linux User# 414246

"How can i get lost, if i have no where to go"
    -- Metallica from Unforgiven III