Lucid changes to Firefox default search provider

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Tue Jan 26 23:15:28 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 21:03 -0200, Carlos Ribeiro wrote:

> Oops. Forgot to say that this change isn't being done for technical,
> security or aesthethical reasons; it's being done for marketing
> reasons. By changing the default (of a existing & running instalation)
> you are asking your users to accept whatever deal Canonical has made.
> Even if for me it doesn't make any difference, I think this is a
> strong enough reason to proceed with care.
Well, I would say "financial" reasons rather than "marketing" reasons,
but, of course, I understand your point.

Note that we are not in any way restricting users' choice. Users are
totally free to choose their search provider, and it is very easy to
change. In the meantime, support for Ubuntu is a *good thing*. So,
agreed, we should listen to reasonable and informed feedback, and I
firmly intend to.

Cheers, Rick