Analysis of 10 years of bugzilla.mozilla.org

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Tue Jan 26 20:47:47 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:36:15AM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> writes:
> >I haven't watched the video, but scanned over the slides and found them
> >interesting:
> >http://commonspace.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/learning-from-10-yrs-of-bugzilla-data/
> >
> I agree -- that slide deck is very comprehensible.  Actually, I found it
> easier to digest than the video presentation.  Here are the slides:
>   http://commonspace.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/mozilla-toronto-office-2010-ms2.pdf
>
> Most interesting graph: correlation between the level of experience of
> bug submitter and tendency of that bug to get fixed.

I found the "Time to verify software defect" graph fascinating.  It
shows that having more than 30 people commenting on a bug adds little to
getting the bug verified unless the developer *really* groks the
codebase inside and out, and can actually hinder the verification time.
And having more than 75 commenters on a bug always makes the bug harder
to verify.

These findings correlate with my own experience.  Having a few people
participate on a bug report can be quite helpful, but past a certain
threshold it turns into noise.

I also like the "Likelihood Bug Fix: X%" thing.