Ubuntu Server update for Lucid Alpha3

Jos Boumans jos.boumans at canonical.com
Fri Jan 22 15:51:31 GMT 2010

Hi,

this week the Lucid Alpha3 development phase has started. So in
following our Alpha2 announcement, below is what's on the horizon
for Alpha3; some of these are new blueprints for Alpha3, some are
continued work from Alpha2.

You can find the full release schedule for Lucid here:

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule

== Alpha3 Projects ==

Since the upcoming release is an LTS, a lot of this cycles work is
centered around stability. Currently, we're broadly targeting the
following 3 areas:

   * Software integration:
     * Eucalyptus 1.6.2 [1]
     * Moving from MySQL 5.0 to 5.1 [2]
     * Provide libraries in PHP/Python/Perl for AWS services[5]

   * Improving our UEC & EC2 experience
     * Integrating Puppet & Etckeeper[3][4]
     * Provide boothooks & user based configuration [6][7]

   * QA & testing:
     * UEC tests [9]
     * Automated server tests [10]
     * Bug squashing [11]
     * Apport hooks [12]
     * Daily builds for server packages [19]
     * The Server Papercuts project [20][21]

There are also a few community driven specs which are targeted
for the Lucid release:

   * Asterisk Integration [15]
   * Ubuntu Cluster Stack [16]
   * Ubuntu Server Containers (LXC, OpenVZ) [17]
   * Integration of Amavisd-new, Spamassassin, and Clamav [18]

The full list of blueprints related to these targets and our progress
can be found on the server team wiki here:

   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/ReleaseStatus

or on our work item tracker here:

   http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/canonical-server-
lucid-alpha-3.html

== Feedback & Involvement ==

   * If you have any suggestions for AWS libraries in PHP/Perl/Python
     or are interested in packaging/contributing a library in another
     language, please let us know in the RFC thread[23]

   * To make the most of our Server Papercuts project[20], please
     participate in the email discussion[21] and nominate papercuts
     and/or volunteer to fix them!

   * To help us track down bugs and crashes better, we're adding apport
     hooks to several key pieces of software. If you'd like to implement
     any of those hooks or contribute your own, please let us know in
     the blueprint[12]

   * The annual Ubuntu Server Survey[13] has been published and we would
     love your feedback. It should be available until the end of
January.

   * The Ubuntu Cluster Stack spec[16] has issued a call for testing[22]
     and would love to hear about your experiences.

As always, you can find the team on #ubuntu-server on irc.freenode.net
if you'd like to ask a question or contribute and/or attend our weekly
public meetings[14].

On behalf of the Ubuntu Server team,

--Jos

[1] https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-