Lucid changes to Firefox default search provider

Richard JOHNSON nixternal at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 23 06:21:49 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 01:45:53AM -0500, Alain-Olivier Breysse wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> Ref. Rick's announcement "change #2 is changing the default search provider
> in Firefox to Yahoo!", I understand the economics behind it, but, as it has
> been voiced in forums, since Yahoo! now works hand in hand with Microsoft,
> how can a main supporter of the Linux community like Canonical strike a
> derive deal with Microsoft. Most upsetting. It's like IBM relying on Bing
> for its search engines.

I hate to do this, but psst. You realize your computer manufacturer has a
deal with Microsoft somewhere along the lines? The deal is with Yahoo, with
Yahoo ads, it isn't with Microsoft. Yahoo only uses Bing as its search
engine, Yahoo isn't Microsoft. Google has or has had deals with Microsoft
in the past, so don't use Google either, because if you do, then that would
be most upsetting. Also, you are about a month late to the game on this
one, as the FUD machine attempted to start then, however died a quick death
when they realized their arguments were useless. Just because we use $X who
has a deal with Microsoft, isn't a reason to bash or not use Ubuntu. If
people stuck with that mentality, they would be naked, shoeless, no car, no
form of entertainment whatsoever, and the list continues, only because
there is a darn good chance that all of those items were manufactured by a
company who possibly has a deal with Microsoft.

> Because it not all about economics, but strategy also. You will definitely
> loose follow up as Ubuntu users are also knowledgeable  and most of the time
> anti Microsoft.
>
> The motivation  of your decision is already being talked about around the
> net in many different languages, and because it is the net, will continue to
> do so.

Good, more publicity, seeing as 95% of the places I have read, the people
commenting were all level headed, understood the deal, and realize they
still have that wonderful thing called a choice. If you are so
anti-Microsoft, then switch it to Google or whoever.

I don't mean to be an ass, but beating a dead horse isn't going to scare
Canonical into changing their decision.

P.S. Konqueror, Kubuntu's web browser, doesn't get along with Yahoo at all,
so we can't use it as a default search engine, so feel free to try that out
:)

--
 Name|  Richard JOHNSON
Title|  Developer
Email|  nixternal at ubuntu.com
GnuPG|  3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96  7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738