Ubuntu Kernel Team meeting minutes, 2010-02-09

Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com
Tue Feb 9 19:24:29 GMT 2010

= Meeting Minutes =
[[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/02/09/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt|IRC Log of the meeting.]]

== Agenda ==
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 09 January, 2010|20100902 Meeting Agenda]]

=== Outstanding actions from last meeting ===
amitk to meet with keybuk on automated boot tests
  * <amitk> Didn't really talk to keybuk about that in particular. But I now have the info necessary to start my own PXE booting automated installs.

=== Lucid Release Status: Bugs (Release Meeting Bugs / RC Milestoned Bugs / Release Targeted Bugs ===

    || ||[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+bugs?field.milestone%3Alist=21445|Alpha 3 Milestoned Bugs]]||[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+bugs|Release Targeted Bugs]]||
    ||linux||[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux/+bugs?field.milestone%3Alist=21445|1]]||[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux|11]]||
    ||linux-fsl-imx51||[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-fsl-imx51/+bugs?field.milestone%3Alist=21445|2]]||[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-fsl-imx51|2]]||
    ||linux-ec2||[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-ec2/+bugs?field.milestone%3Alist=21445|0]]||[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-ec2|0]]||
    ||linux-mvl-dove||[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-mvl-dove/+bugs?field.milestone%3Alist=21445|1]]||[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-mvl-dove|1]]||

=== Lucid Release Status: Milestoned Features ===
    * [[https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+milestone/ubuntu-10.04|Milestoned Features]]

=== Lucid Release Status: Bugs with patches attached ===
    * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.has_patch=on|Bugs with patches attached]]

=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-bug-handling (JFo) ===
Arsenal scripts are currently running in dryrun mode daily. I am finishing up
adding the -r option in each script to enable the actual run.  Reviewed the X
debugging pages. I have started working up an outline of what we need to put
in place and how we can use most of what we already have to do it.  I'm also
making up a listing of what information needs to be updated on our wiki.

=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-review-of-ubuntu-delta (apw) ===
Nothing to report

=== Blueprints: kerne-lucid-kernel-config-review (apw) ===
Testing for any boot-speed regression with the PATA and SATA disk controllers
removed is ongoing.  We have also cleaned up those patches which were under
discusssion, dropping a number of redundant patches.
<<BR>>
Question: '''Did we decide anything w.r.t. having builtin drivers vs. modules?'''
<<BR>>
Answer: '''That is part of what the first item there is about.  I am planning to test that, and use that to start an email discussion on kernel-team.'''

=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-kms (sconklin) ===
Preliminary testing with nouveau has been pretty good.  An upload of the new Lucid LBM is pending in the New queue currently.
<<BR>><<BR>>
There is some discussion starting that KMS on radeon may be not as good as it could be
and we need to figure out what if anything we need to do there also
<<BR>><<BR>>
I (manjo) am looking at backporting some patches for radeon that might fix some of the memory issues that are being reported.

=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-suspend-resume (manjo) ===
I have 2 patches:
* Prints a lot of info driver:device:resumetime
* Is based on tracepoints.
I have tested patch #1, and I am in the process of testing patch #2. I plan on tweaking patch #1 and carrying it as a sauce in Lucid.

=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-apparmor-development (jjohansen) ===
Removed an unused feature that is potential security vulnerability (other option was complete the feature and do heavy code auditing).  The feature could allow privilege escalation when combined with change_profile.  No C
finished up policy optimization, it provided a 50% reduction in size and 4x speedup, also laid the ground work for further improvements (table sharing, and faster table compression) in the future.
pam_apparmor update should be done later in the week.
Fixing locking deadlock.  The freeing of profiles has a race that can potentially deadlock.  This can occur when free_profile is triggered from an rcu callback that is occurring at the same time as a profile replacement/r

=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-boot-performance (apw, csurbhi) ===
Boot is looking better, plymouth has been pulled back out of initramfs and we are below budget again.  We have one outstanding issue with khubd which seems to be hanging about, investigation is ongoing.  We have also pull
we look to be at about 1.8s to rootfs right now

=== Other Release Tasks: Lucid Audio Support (bjf) ===
Nothing new here, wiki and bug work needing to be done

=== Other Release Tasks: Lucid Better Power Mgt (amitk) ===
I've been playing with CPU wakeups on a stock lucid isntall got it down to 5-6
wake ups after using some laptop-mode-tools tricks, blacklisting modules, etc.
5 wakeups/s now trying to figure out what parts of these hacks can be bundled
with lucid I hope to have atleast some scripts for pm-utils

=== Other Release Tasks: EC2 Lucid Kernel Status (jjohansen) ===
Updated to latest set of patches, and updated configs to more closely match
-server (with exception of physical device drivers, which diverged even more).
Need to look at linux-meta-ec2 package as it has been reported by smoser that
it isn't updating to latest version of kernel.

We have refactored the debian abstraction to reduce the separation and thereby increase commonality of the rules and scripts.  The kernel is currently being pulled up to v2.6.32.8 and should be uploaded today.
Overall we are about half way through alpha-3 and we have completed about 58% of the milestoned tasks.  Much of what remains undone are investigation items.  We are making some progress to returning below the burn-down li
[[http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/canonical-kernel-team.html|Canonical Kernel Team, Burndown Chart]]

=== Security & bugfix kernels - Karmic/Jaunty/Intrepid/Hardy/Others (smb) ===
  * Dapper:     2.6.15-55.82 (security)
  * Hardy:      2.6.24-27.65 (security)
              2.6.24-27-66 (proposed)[just uploaded]
  * Intrepid:   2.6.27-17.45 (security)
  * Jaunty:     2.6.28-18.59 (security)
  * Karmic:     2.6.31-19.56 (security)
              2.6.31-20.57 (proposed)[1]  4/18 verifications done
Security release is done. This time it included updates to fsl-imx51, mvl-dove and ec2 packages. The ports-meta will be refreshed as well.  confirmation.
A new upload to Hardy proposed is waiting for approval and will also be done for netbook-lpia.
The Karmic proposed upload includes a few more patches than before and also
fixes a regression through 2.6.31.9 that was catched before.

=== Incoming Bugs: Regressions (JFo) ===
Current regression stats (broken down by release):
==== regression-potential (up 4) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-potential+lucid&field.tags_combinator=ALL|39 lucid bugs]]

==== regression-update (no change ) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-update+karmic&field.tags_combinator=ALL|9 karmic bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-update+jaunty&field.tags_combinator=ALL|5 jaunty bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-update+intrepid&field.tags_combinator=ALL|2 intrepid bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-update+hardy&field.tags_combinator=ALL|1 hardy bug]]

==== regression-release (down 5) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-release+karmic&field.tags_combinator=ALL|56 karmic bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-release+jaunty&field.tags_combinator=ALL|22 jaunty bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-release+intrepid&field.tags_combinator=ALL|11 intrepid bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-release+hardy&field.tags_combinator=ALL|4 hardy bugs]]

==== regression-proposed (no change) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-proposed+karmic&field.tags_combinator=ALL|1 karmic bug]]

=== Incoming Bugs: Bug day report (ogasawara) ===
There was no bug day, the platform team was sprinting.

=== Open Discussion or Questions ===
  * amitk wants to revisit our decision (dtchen's really) to turn off HDA power save mode. He is looking for numbers on how many users were affected by the sound glitches. An email will be sent to the kernel-team mailing list starting a discussion and
bradf will work with amitk on discussions with upstream.
  * apw wants to remind everyone that we are frezing the kernel on March the 11th, which means we have to have everything ready and in by March 8th.
  * smb points out that Karmic SRU for the kernel are about to end as well.

--
Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com http://www.canonical.com