iputils-arping appropriate for standard?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 18 12:22:26 BST 2010

In the foundations-m-spring-cleaning session at UDS, we wondered whether
iputils-arping was really appropriate in ubuntu-standard.  This is
installed on all Ubuntu systems other than those created using a bare
debootstrap.  The seed comment is "would have made my life easier at
debconf"; it dates back to revision 1 of the seeds, so I can't tell whom
the pronoun refers to, but that must refer to one of our first
gatherings at DebConf 4, so I'm guessing the comment is from James Troup
(CCed).  Of course that would place this comment before the idea of
universe was conceived, and back then whatever we had in main was all
you got in Ubuntu ...

I don't really want to have a protracted argument over it since it's
pretty small (23KB), and I generally like the idea of having some useful
networking tools in standard; but it does seem like a relatively
abstruse debugging tool to me.  Perhaps we should move this to supported
somewhere, keeping it in main for security support but taking it off the
CD?

Thanks,