Place for DDs and DMs to request syncs

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 15 20:14:34 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:17:19PM +1000, Steve Kowalik wrote:
> On 15/08/10 01:01, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > For example, let's say I dip my toes into the Ubuntu lake first.  I quickly
> > learn that it's best to upload to Debian first and then sync to Ubuntu, but I
> > find Launchpad a more comfortable web ui to interact with.  Why is there not a
> > big button on e.g. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/zope.interface that
> > says "Upload to Debian Testing"?

> There are couple of reasons for this. Firstly, Launchpad doesn't really
> keep track of what's in Debian all that well -- it tries to, but there
> are problems with it. Secondly, if something is going to get uploaded to
> Debian, it needs to be signed by a *private* key that has upload
> permissions to Debian -- and I don't want my private key stored on
> hardware that isn't under my physical control.

I would go farther than that to say that any Debian developer who turned
his/her private key over to Launchpad had betrayed the trust of the Debian
project by doing so and should have their upload privileges revoked.  Debian
places its trust in individual developers; a developer allowing Launchpad to
upload packages on their behalf is bypassing that trust model.

(And then there's the issue that Debian requires binaries to be included
with source uploads, and Launchpad has no Debian chroots...)