Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 15 12:08:56 BST 2010

Andrew SB [2010-08-13 15:23 -0400]:
> Who is responsible for pushing these new apps to the development
> release?

The author/packager of the software. AFAICS the main point of this
process was to avoid having to push a lot of "fire'n'forget" apps into
universe.

> As Scott said, "Once the next release hits they won't be in
> the current release anymore because we skipped the part where we get
> the packages into the development release." Are we creating a
> permanent split in the archive with two completely different
> processes?

Those new packages should not be considered being part of Ubuntu, the
new process should just provide a standard way of making third-party
apps more easy to discover. But the responsibility for those should
still by and large remain at the third party's side. Of course by
showing them in software-center we gain a bit of responsibility, which
is why we need to introduce a review step here.

Not sure how you think about this, but I think from a number of
maintainers/MOTUs POV just about the last thing universe needs is even
more undermaintained packages?

Martin