Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

Andrew SB a.starr.b at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 20:23:55 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Rick Spencer
<rick.spencer at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 13:05 -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
>> >
>> > In what way is this new process simpler and less involved?
> It is significantly less involved. As an application developer, if you
> can get your application into a PPA, you can then get it into Software
> Center. If you use Quickly to build your app, it's easy to get your app
> into a PPA.
>
> These differences may seem slight to people who are already highly
> skilled packages and who are motu or core-dev. But we must understand
> that the barrier to entry in terms of technical skills to contribute to
> Ubuntu as a platform is much much higher than the barrier of entry to
> create a web app or deliver an app to the iPhone for example.
>
> You can use this process to deliver it to the *current release* that you
> developed it for, you don't have to wait 6+ months for the next release
> to roll around, and you don't have to master the skills for packaging
> and delivering into universe.

I applaud the effort to make contributing to Ubuntu easier for all
different kinds of people, but I still haven't heard an answer to one
of Scott's earlier questions that has nagged me as well.

Who is responsible for pushing these new apps to the development
release? As Scott said, "Once the next release hits they won't be in
the current release anymore because we skipped the part where we get
the packages into the development release." Are we creating a
permanent split in the archive with two completely different
processes?

Thanks,

Andrew Starr-Bochicchio