Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Fri Aug 13 19:53:19 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 13:05 -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 14:25 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Thursday, August 05, 2010 08:42:58 pm Jono Bacon wrote:
> > > As such, if you are an
> > > application developer and want to get your app in the software center,
> > > the process is probably too complex and involved.
> >
> > In what way is this new process simpler and less involved?
It is significantly less involved. As an application developer, if you
can get your application into a PPA, you can then get it into Software
Center. If you use Quickly to build your app, it's easy to get your app
into a PPA.

These differences may seem slight to people who are already highly
skilled packages and who are motu or core-dev. But we must understand
that the barrier to entry in terms of technical skills to contribute to
Ubuntu as a platform is much much higher than the barrier of entry to
create a web app or deliver an app to the iPhone for example.

You can use this process to deliver it to the *current release* that you
developed it for, you don't have to wait 6+ months for the next release
to roll around, and you don't have to master the skills for packaging
and delivering into universe.

> Not to speak for Jono, but I was thinking that this was less about
> getting into the archives and more about choosing "Featured
> Applications" and the default applications on the CD.  The problem in
> the past is that it's been basically the Desktop Team manager that has
> chosen.  Where as the goal was to have a community process for choosing
> between things like F-Spot and Shotwell for instance.

No, it's not about that. This is about releasing new application onto a
stable release. This was discussed in considerable depth before, during,
and after UDS.
https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-maverick-opportunistic-apps-stable-release

Jono is asking for volunteers for this:
https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-m-post-release-app-process

As you can see, significant effort has already been invested to making
this work, and that work is nearing completion.

This is probably the most exciting feature to me in Maverick. It will
make Ubuntu a relevant target platform for a whole new batch of
application developers that will be inspired to write FOSS applications.

Note that these application developers we are thinking about are a user
who is different in kind then the developers who build Ubuntu itself. If
you are currently writing web pages or iPhone applications, then you may
want to write an application to run on Ubuntu, even if you have not the
time, ability, or interest to contribute to Ubuntu as a platform.
Starting in Maverick, you will be able to do so.

This is awesome.

Cheers, Rick