MIR for collectd requires some guidance

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 5 05:07:56 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 17:17:49 (EDT), Clint Byrum wrote:

> So there are a few ways we can approach this:
>
> * Just include all of that stuff in main, thus increasing our burden of security maintenance and package support
> * Split the package into a collectd-core that has just the stuff a user would normally need for use w/ collectd, and leave the rest in universe, thus introducing a delta from debian requiring merging with every release.
> * Drop functionality from the package, thus disappointing some users who will then point at the universe packages and wonder why we removed functionality from a perfectly good set of packages.

That would really be a shame, espc. for people that use the package in
both debian and ubuntu and expect it to behave similarily.

> I'm asking for guidance, because I don't want to overburden the MIR
> approval team with all of these libraries, if its perfectly acceptable
> to just split the package and deal with the merge burden going
> forward. I don't think it is acceptable at all to drop the
> functionality from the universe package.

I've pointed one of the upstream authors of collectd (Sebastian Harl) to
this post, and he offered to be cooperative to find a solution for this
problem if he was contacted. I'd therefore suggest to do just that for
now.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4