Review: Syncing from testing a success?

Michael Bienia michael at bienia.de
Thu Apr 8 22:00:00 BST 2010

On 2010-04-08 21:41:48 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
>  (5) anything else that caused or eased problems that you can think
>      of

Some packages might got no updates for lucid as the package didn't reach
testing (for whatever reasons) but we got it from syncing from unstable
in karmic. These packages need to get synced manually from unstable to
benefit from package updates. But this problem gets less if we continue
to sync from testing.

Another problem is: Debian removes packages from testing when they get
to buggy, yet we keep them. Perhaps we should remove those binaries too
if the same version gets removed from testing.

This last point isn't only limited to syncing from testing but also
affects when syncing from unstable (perhaps even more). As Debian builds
their release from testing, it removes buggy packages from testing as
needed. They stay in unstable. If we sync from unstable we sync those
packages unsuitable for a release too and include them also in our next
release. At least I don't know of any efforts to release an Ubuntu
release without those (binary) packages which Debian doesn't see fit for
release (missing from testing).

Michael