Review: Syncing from testing a success?

Robert Collins robert.collins at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 8 21:55:17 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 21:41 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hello Ubuntu developers,

> So, in your opinion, did syncing from testing
>
>  (1) help to avoid introducing larger breakage into Ubuntu (for the
>      domain you are usually watching)

I don't think it had an impact in either direction on the things I
routinely watch.

>  (2) meant a smaller or larger amount of review and sync requests

Slightly more overhead here, as I had things blocked on the python 2.6
transition in Debian which were safe in Ubuntu, so I had to request
syncs to get them into Ubuntu at all.

>  (3) made it easier or harder to merge with Debian and get changes
>      integrated back upstream

No change.

>  (4) made library transitions easier or harder

No data to comment.

>  (5) anything else that caused or eased problems that you can think
>      of

I had to think somewhat more about syncs and where packages were coming
from. I think it made it a little harder to 'package in Debian for
Ubuntu', which I try to do with my Debian packages: I don't want to
upload them twice, as they are a single package version, but I don't
want Ubuntu to be behind either.

-Rob