kqemu and Ubuntu

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Wed Apr 7 20:43:17 BST 2010

This message is directed at users of Virtualization in Ubuntu, and
specifically those who use kqemu in versions of Ubuntu <= 9.04.

You may safely disregard this message if:
 * you do not care about Virtualization in Ubuntu (kqemu, qemu, kvm), or
 * you're already happily running Ubuntu 9.10, or Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, or
 * you are not using kqemu at all (see: dpkg -l kqemu*)

As discussed at UDS-Lucid in November last year, upstream QEMU has
completely dropped support for kqemu, and consequently will not be
available in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.  The decision has been discussed at
length in several bug reports, mailing list posts, and in IRC.  I have
compiled a set of FAQs here, to help address the recurring questions:
 * http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2010/04/kqemu-and-ubuntu.html
 * https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kqemu

My apologies for the cross-posting.  The Ubuntu Server Team is simply
trying to pro-actively notify users of Ubuntu users of kqemu ahead of
the 10.04 LTS release, and direct users with recurring questions to
the FAQ pages on the topic.

Thanks,
:-Dustin