Question regarding the new login theme and using other gdm themes

أحمد المحمودي aelmahmoudy at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 29 11:37:37 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:52:29AM +0200, Didier Roche wrote:
> If you take a look at last night's update, new GDM update
> (2.28.0-0ubuntu7, cf
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/2.28.0-0ubuntu7) enables
> setting a different background than the user's one. It basically just
> changes the gconf key associated to the "gdm" user, setting a
> different wallpaper.
>
> You can have a look there:
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/32637188/gdm_2.28.0-0ubuntu6_2.28.0-0ubuntu7.diff.gz
> It should be easy to create your own branded gtk theme and background,
> changing then the gconf key.
---end quoted text---

I think you mean those lines:

  su -s /bin/sh -c 'gconftool --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename --type string  /usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg' gdm
  su -s /bin/sh -c 'gconftool --set /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-theme --type string HumanLogin' gdm

But the problem I meant is branding a Ubuntu derivative by installing
some package. As far as I know a derivatve distro cannot do the above in
postinst script, so as to not override a possible sys. admin setting.

--
 ‎أحمد المحمودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
  Digital design engineer