Default Profile setting in Pulse Audio Configuration Karmic Alpha6

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 06:16:08 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> My laptop has 3 microphone devices according to PulseAudio - Line in,
> Mic1, and Mic2.  One is a built in microphone, the other is a front
> microphone port -- is there anyway that the interface could tell me
> which is which?  Is this standardized at all (eg is mic1 always the
> built in?)

gnome-media and pavucontrol could rely on PA to expose this
information (if/when available), sure. The difficult part is that
there is no consistency between MicX - it's really up to the mainboard
provider.

PA has begun to move a lot of the insane logic into config files, but
I'm not comfortable relying on that approach (which really relies on
alsa-driver/linux to expose the IDs via /proc/asound/card*/codec* for
HDA) due to how volatile things are...

-Dan