Karmic touch pad request

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Sun Sep 27 06:01:28 BST 2009

On 2009-09-27 at 00:15:47 -0400, Daniel Chen wrote:
> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 00:15:47 -0400
> From: Daniel Chen <seven.steps at gmail.com>
> To: "Aaron C. de Bruyn" <ubuntu-devel at darkpixel.com>
> Cc: ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Karmic touch pad request
>
> One metric that I use is the principle of least surprise. I also

I would be least surprised if it worked.  ;)

Look at both sides:
Enable tap-click on the touchpad.  What will it hurt?  The most common complaint I've heard is accidental tapping when you rest your hands over the touchpad.  Well--there's an option to turn it off.  It seems to work well.  Can you (or anyone else) think of any problems with turning it on?

Disable tap-click on the touchpad.  Users--even experienced users like me will occasionally 1) forget about the setting 2) be working on old crappy hardware and think it's broken along with forgetting about the setting.  Can you think of a benefit of leaving it off?

-A