Foundations Team Weekly Status, 2009-09-02
robbie at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 11 20:49:45 BST 2009
Apologies for the delay.
= No Meeting This Week =
== Activity reports ==
=== Colin Watson ===
* Uploaded initial Eucalyptus installer support. Ongoing bug-fixes as testing
* Further discussion with GRUB2 upstream about keystatus interface design.
Uploaded first plausible version to Ubuntu.
* Uploaded preseedable LVM-on-RAID support. Working on wedging support for it
* Merged: grub2 (twice)
* Fixed mouseemu #419947 (mouseemu prevents use of multi-button mice).
* Fixed hw-detect #251830 (don't install mouseemu on Intel Mac desktops).
* Merged Dell Driver Injection Disk support (#341526).
* Backported fix for console-setup #390292 (undefined kernel key code warnings)
* Arranged for grub-installer to pass user kernel parameters through to grub2.
* Miscellaneous installer updates for Alpha 5, especially translations.
* rsyslog #407862.
=== Evan Dandrea ===
* Short week. Vacation on Monday and Tuesday.
* Fixed some small bugs in the slideshow code. The slideshow is now fully
functional and working on resolutions greater than or equal to 800x600, its
* Spoke with the design team about getting their input on the slides.
* Guided Roman on how he could best build on the work of the ubiquity-slideshow
team to create a KDE slideshow package.
* Followed up on the plugins merge. I was set to merge it in, but decided to
hold off to give Mario and Colin more time to look it over. I spoke with Steve
about it briefly and filed bug #419989 for the FFe.
* Filed bug 419796 on devicekit-disks, which is preventing usb-creator from
having a working format button.
* Backported some debian-installer changes for bug 234185.
* Fixes to usb-creator.
=== James Westby ===
==== Distro tasks ====
* bzr 1.18 and associated packages uploaded to karmic.
* Talked with dobey about oauth packages.
* Many reviews/sponsoring/uploads for people who wanted things in before FF.
==== Distributed Development ====
* Followed up on a few Launchpad things that are waiting.
* Spoke to jml about branch permissions.
* Landed some fixes from Muharem.
==== Daily Builds ====
* bzr-builder uploaded to karmic.
==== Kerneloops ====
* kerneloops-daemon seeded.
=== Lars Wirzenius ===
* Work on getting apt to use zsync for updating Packages files. Waiting for
feedback from Michael Vogt on my patch.
=== Matthias Klose ===
=== Michael Vogt ===
==== software-store (was app-center) ====
* Update software-store copyright to gpl-3
* trying to follow the change in the software-store spec
* create webkit branch
* use webkit for rending of the application details page
* Add "add_repository" functionatliy to aptdaemon
* make the categories view emit proper signals so that the app class can react
* much improved search entry
* Fix crash in aptdaemon (#403467)
* open cache in the background and keep gtk alive
* add basic keyboard navigation
* discuss private PPA integration (APIs missing)
* add "enable-channel" functionality in software-store
* Fix crash in software-store postrm
* Work on the progress animation icon (with rugby471)
* add launchpad integration into software-store
* Debug/fix problem when the aptdaemon stops because of inactivty (we need to
reconnect our signals)
* Add jcastro to the project and activate his daily builds ppa
* Show rdepends count in softtware-store for installed apps
* Review/merge changes from lp:~rugby471/software-store/software-store-andrew
* add "CellRendererAnimatedImage" for the progress view
* rework the webkit branch to have a "WebkitWidget" base class that supports
running python code from the html/JS and running JS from
* Update aptdaemon branch to include "wait-for-dpkg-lock" feature
* add substituation support based on string.Template()
* Work on the webkit branch, merge changes from rugby471, support basic thumb
fetching (from screenshots.debian.net)
* make the category view a webkit widget to be able to display it the way the
* kill right click menu in webview, enable simple keyboard navigation in the
* update pending view on initial startup
==== update-manager ====
* Merge the update-manager change from seb back into bzr
* Work on base-installer integraton
==== compiz ====
* Upload new compiz-bcop (bugfix) to archive
* Upload more compiz fixes to the compiz PPA
* Tighten compiz dependencies, upload a bunch of new packages to the compiz ppa
==== apt/synaptic ====
* Debug/fix synaptic crash
* debug/fix segfault in apt
* Add patch for apt ALLCAPS problem to the apt mvo branch
==== misc ====
* Phonecall with doko about python-robustness
* Fix duplicated IDs in gdebi and upload new version (#422096)
* Bug triage/fixing gdebi (two crashes)
* Add lzma as a valid member to python-debian (so that it no longer crashes)
* make gdebi more robust against crashes from python-debian
* Add "--auto-close" option to gdebi to have better auto-test capabilities
* Phonecall with robbiew
==== sponsoring ====
* Review/sponsoring gtk-vnc, vinagre, notification-daemon, gnome-control-center
* Review/merge/upload software-properties string fix #420672
* Review/merge/upload apturl kde frontend
=== Mike Terry ===
==== Ubiquity ====
* Continued to work on my plugins branch (merge with trunk, bugfix). There is
an FFE for it, but will be pushed after Alpha 5 to minimize any risk.
* Did a bunch of bug cleanup (closed out bugs that are fixed by my timezone
work or no longer apply)
* Investigated better mangling of user's real name into a POSIX username.
Seems like we need a feature patch from upstream PyICU svn
before we can properly fix this.
==== Rsyslog ====
* Fixed an annoying bug with permissions on output log files. If rsyslog
received a HUP (as it does when rotating logs), it might not have been able to
write to a root-owned syslog anymore.
=== Muharem Hrnjadovic ===
==== Distributed development ====
* More tests and fixes for "merge-package" bzr command, see:
==== Archive administration ====
===== Syncs =====
* f libio-compress-perl
* f python-numpy
===== Component mismatches =====
Checked out a number of potential mismatches. It turned out neither of these
were to be demoted to universe:
* language-support-translations-*, in the process of being replaced by
* ibus-qt/ibus-qt4 needed by Kubuntu
* nvclock/smartdimmer needed by hal
=== Scott James Remnant ===
==== Boot Performance ====
* Merged current debhelper with Steve and Joey's pass of a dh_installinit with
Upstart support. Extended it to provide maintainer scripts that use proper
Upstart commands, and do support optional replacement of init scripts of the
* Hostname patched to support fallback default ("localhost") if the file
doesn't exist or is empty, and no hostname is set. This eliminates all the need
for work in the initscript/Upstart job.
* Bulk of rcS and gdm-critical Upstart jobs packaged from max
* Rewrote the upstart-event helper binary into an upstart-udev-bridge daemon
that's somewhat more efficient since we don't need to fork/exec all the time
* Added that to the Upstart source tree for the Ubuntu package
* Began adding the "mountall" code, which needs some work to support the more
complex configurations but works for the simple cases.
=== Steve Langasek ===
==== Release management ====
* NEW processing for FeatureFreeze
* UDW session on FFes
* Alpha5 prep
==== Specs ====
* foundations-karmic-multiarch-support: knocked a number of items off the dpkg
todo list; evaluated the current upstream status and took the decision to defer
this until karmic+1
==== Sponsorship ====
* pam (bug #285574)
* boost1.37 (bug #371617)
* net6 (bug #422149)
==== Misc ====
* Monday archive duties
More information about the ubuntu-devel