20090929.2 UEC install test

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Thu Oct 1 01:52:27 BST 2009

Thierry-

I spent today testing Eucalyptus on the beta candidate.

I installed with the current beta candidate, which includes
eucalyptus_1.6~bzr854-0ubuntu12.  I confirmed that walrus registration
worked, and sc and cc registration was broken.

At this point, I upgraded both the CC and NC machines to the latest
eucalyptus in the archive, the one that includes the fixes I uploaded
last night, eucalyptus_1.6~bzr854-0ubuntu13.

Immediately upon upgrade, all 3 components successfully registered.
For good measure, I rebooted the system at this time.  Upon reboot,
all components were again registered successfully.  The web interface
correctly reflected the setup.  I then registered the NC properly,
without incident.  The NC immediately started polling.  I could run
euca-describe-availability-zones and see my cloud availability.

Next, I started the extremely lengthy task of registering and running
images.  This part takes a very, very long time.  1-2 hours, to be
honest.  I followed (and updated) the steps at:
 * http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Install/ServerEConfig

I was able to bundle, register, and upload the image.  I also
submitted the run job, and it immediately went into the pending state.
 Monitoring the NC, I watched as 10GB's were transferred over the
network, and then Eucalyptus dd'd a new image, and eventually the
image made it to the running state.

Once it was in the running state, I was able to obtain the boot
console messages with euca-get-console-output.  The image came up, but
was having networking issues.  You can view the console log attached
to this bug:
 * https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eucalyptus/+bug/439288

At this point, I strongly believe that the
eucalyptus_1.6~bzr854-0ubuntu13 upload is better than the -0ubuntu12
upload.  I don't think that it regresses the state of the package, and
it does fix several bugs.  We're still a ways from a complete, working
UEC, but we're getting there.  I believe that -0ubuntu13 solves the
majority of the registration issues, and I am very much able to run
instances with that version.

I don't particularly care whether -0ubuntu13 makes it on the beta ISO,
but I definitely don't think it should be reverted from the archive.

:-Dustin