ARM rebuild

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 25 13:31:39 GMT 2009

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 25.11.2009, 13:20 +0000 schrieb Matt Zimmerman:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:48:44PM +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi,
> > Am Mittwoch, den 25.11.2009, 11:08 +0000 schrieb Matt Zimmerman:
> > > Instead, I'm proposing:
> > >
> > >  * Rebuild the packages in the archive
> > >
> > > Isn't that much simpler and more effective?
> > it definately is simpler, but with the amount of buildds we have it will
> > put us out of work for quite some time. we are lacking build hardware
> > for it to fulfill the effective part and still do our work ...
>
> I don't see why this should create a problem if the builds are spaced out
> (as I suggested) and run at a lower priority relative to the packages that
> you upload.
the prob here is the speed and amount of build machines, to my knowledge
it took up to three months to rebuild the whole of main with the buildds
we had when we started the arm port, now we have slower machines but
more of them which will roughly level out the loss off power here but
likely still generate issues to get everything done in time ...

> > we decided to do a test rebuild of all the libs in main for which tobin
> > davis will establish an additional automatic LSB ABI test on the build
> > machines, so we see ABI breakage induced by the toolchain switches (this
> > will give us an overview of all the libs).
> > Then, once DIF is in place we will generate a combined list of all
> > packages in main modulo the ones on the images (which are definately
> > getting uploads/rebuilds anyway) and the packages already pulled from
> > debian before DIF, so we get a list of the remaining packages that
> > havent been touched yet and will upload these manually.
>
> Yes, I'm definitely not suggesting rebuilding the things which were already
> rebuilt in the normal course of development.  Only the ones which aren't
> otherwise touched.
right, thats why we wait until DIF to have a proper overview ...

ciao
	oli