Promoting Lucid Testing using KVM

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Mon Nov 9 00:35:27 GMT 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 13:27 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> Rick, Marjo and I are actually hoping to take this a step further in Lucid
> by making it possible to do this in the cloud, instead of locally in KVM.
> We've already done this for Server Edition, where you can start an EC2
> instance using any daily build without even downloading anything.
>
> We want to make the same experience possible with Desktop Edition.  No
> downloading ISOs, no installation, just the latest development code running
> on demand.
In fact Dustin and I discussed on IRC on Friday, as well. We discussed
approaching the project in steps ...

Step 1: Wrap testdrive up with a gtk front end to get the project
started quickly with few dependencies. We've already added a gtk front
end to the proejct, and I'll try to get it working nicely tomorrow.

Step 2: Dailies available in our private cloud for Canonical folks to
poke at it, especially designers, etc... If we can't pull of dailies in
the cloud in an automated manner, we should at least manually host
images of major milestones.

Step 3: Dailies available on aws to the public. Perhaps user would have
to have aws accounts and pay, or perhaps not.

Steps 2 and 3 bring up the notion of a "testers" iso, that has test
cases and/or tools built in.

Cheers, Rick