[ubuntu-x] (Update) Re: -nvidia upgrade issues

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sun Nov 8 16:04:33 GMT 2009

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 18:37:39 -0800 Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com>
wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 06:19:53PM +0100, Wouter Stomp wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Alberto Milone
>> <alberto.milone at canonical.com> wrote:
>> > On Saturday 07 Nov 2009 01:21:11 Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> > For this reason I think it makes sense to make sure that, when we
install
>> > nvidia (or any other driver which relies on DKMS), the module is built
for the
>> > current kernel (e.g. 2.6.28) and for the most recent one (e.g.
2.6.31). If the
>> > current kernel and the most recent one are the same, then nothing
changes and
>> > we build only 1 module.
>> >

>> Wouldn't it be better to build the module for all installed kernels?
>
>The one downside I think of is excessive build time if a large number of
>kernels are installed.  (Does the cruft remove keep the max number of
>installed kernels reasonably constrained?)

Even if the cruft cleaner keeps this limited, Ubuntu's siblings don't ship
it and the default grub menu.lst (for upgraders) keeps all the kernels.

OTOH, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be able to boot
installed kernels, so maybe we aren't obligated to be concerned.

Scott K