Merging with Bazaar

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 6 06:41:54 GMT 2009

James Westby <jw+debian at jameswestby.net> writes:

> but the short of it is: get
>
>   lp:ubuntu/<package>
>
> and run
>
>   bzr merge-package lp:debian/<series>/<package>
>
> where <series> could be lenny, squeeze, sid, experimental as
> appropriate.

Thank you very much on your work on this.

I just want to add that in my experience, it is more convinient and
practical to merge the other way round:

$ bzr get lp:debian/<series>/<package> lucid ; cd lucid
$ bzr merge-package lp:debian/<package>

In some package, I got significant less conflicts. The other reason is
that 'bzr revert <file>' will revert the file to the version in debian,
not in ubuntu. In most cases this is what I want, as the general rule is
to reduce the interdiff to debian.

Next experience: since there are in some cases quite a lot of conflicts,
you might find the 'bzr remerge <file>' command handy. This allows to
redo a merge on a file, either with the same or some other merge algorithm.

At the end of the process, just before committing the merge, a 'bzr
diff' will show the diff to the debian package. The fact that you can
limit this diffs to files and subdirectories makes it much easier to
decide which parts of the diff can and should be upstreamed to debian.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4