-nvidia upgrade issues

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Nov 5 00:50:57 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 05:08:17PM -0600, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Hi Bryce:
>
> I've got a couple of comments i'll echo here
>
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 16:26, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been looking into some problems people have been reporting
> > upgrading to Karmic with -nvidia installed.
> >
> > One thing I've noticed is aside from whatever issue is occuring with
> > nvidia, there are bugs elsewhere which are compounding the problems and
> > leading to some poor user experiences.  A common scenario occurs if for
> > whatever reason the -nvidia kernel module fails to build in DKMS:
> >

> It would be very good to try to get a sampling of why the kernel modules are
> failing to build.  Can you try to get people to collect the failed
> make.log's in these scenarios?

Bug 450238 adds some further information as to what might be going
wrong:

"""
Adding Module to DKMS build system
+ dkms add -m nvidia -v

Error! Invalid number of arguments passed.
Usage: add -m <module> -v <module-version>

The reason for this is, that the script uses a variable $CVERSION that
is never defined. Adding it manually works:

dkms add -m nvidia -v 185.18.36

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/185.18.36/source ->
                 /usr/src/nvidia-185.18.36

DKMS: add Completed.
"""

Bryce