[ubuntu-x] -nvidia upgrade issues

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Wed Nov 4 22:41:18 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 02:26:56PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> I've been looking into some problems people have been reporting
> upgrading to Karmic with -nvidia installed.
>
> One thing I've noticed is aside from whatever issue is occuring with
> nvidia, there are bugs elsewhere which are compounding the problems and
> leading to some poor user experiences.  A common scenario occurs if for
> whatever reason the -nvidia kernel module fails to build in DKMS:

One example is if 'patch' is not installed - bug 434154.  Then if there
are patches to be applied to the kernel module, DKMS fails.

I can't tell yet if this situation is the root cause of most of the
issues or just a corner case, but certainly that's something that could
have been missed during development since most developers *would* have
had patch installed.