Lucid Release Schedule

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 1 22:19:20 GMT 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Robbie Williamson <robbie at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> You are absolutely correct :), and I've tried to correct these errors.
> Please review and let me know if things are better.

Thanks Robbie - that looks better from a documentation team point of view.

A couple of quick minor comments on a quick read of the schedule:

1. I'd say that the artwork deadlines are wrong. Currently the final
artwork deadline comes after the DocumentationStringFreeze, which
means that the desktop could in theory change at a time when it isn't
possible to update screenshots. That isn't a problem for the
documentation team at the moment, because we don't use screenshots in
the desktop documentation. Really artwork is covered by the current
definition of UserInterfaceFreeze
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserInterfaceFreeze) so it would probably be
helpful to get this clarified. I think it was intentional that artwork
be covered by the UI Freeze
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperReleaseProcess).

2. The translation deadlines could do with clarifying. "Final
translation export from LP" is listed as week 19, whereas
LanguagePackTranslationDeadline is at week 25. That seems
contradictory because translators will, as usual, be translating right
up until the LanguagePackTranslationDeadline and will count on a
translation export happening after that deadline. Note: I think this
has also been slightly unclear from previous release schedules as
well, albeit there isn't such a large difference between the two
(which I think is just a hangover from the changes you've made today).
As a solution I'd suggest moving the two items to the same stage in
the release cycle.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org