Fwd: Recent changes to ALSA for power saving

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Tue May 26 22:37:46 BST 2009

----- Forwarded message from Daniel Chen <seven.steps at gmail.com> -----

From: Daniel Chen <seven.steps at gmail.com>
To: ubuntu-devel-discuss <ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com>,
	Ubuntu Devel <ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Recent changes to ALSA for power saving
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 23:18:17 +0200

Hi all,

Luke and I have just pushed a one-line change to 9.10's
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf that enables HDA controllers to power
down their amps after ten idle seconds. This change anticipates the
larger power-savings objectives for 9.10.

We expect there will be regressions in the form of audible pops when
the AMPs power down (and/or up). If you experience this symptom in
9.10, please file a bug using "ubuntu-bug alsa-base". Be sure to
change the summary of the bug afterward to "[9.10 regression] HDA
power_save=10".

Thanks,
Dan