Keyring password (Re: Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 24 14:02:37 GMT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:27:00PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
> > I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.
> >
> > Is this because I chose auto-login?  Is there any way to avoid this awkward
> > prompt?
>
>  Yes, it's only with autologin; it's a long standing limitation that you
>  have no password on the PAM stack for libpam-gnome-keyring to work in
>  this case.  I think the OEM folks workaround this by pre-creating a
>  keyring with no password instead. #137247

Using a null password seems a more reasonable fallback than prompting the
user to create a new password.  Even better, perhaps, would be to prompt
them for their *own* password instead of a new one, so that the keyring can
be automatically unlocked if they login with a password.

I have an 8.10 system where the keyring password and login password seem to
be out of sync, and I haven't worked out how to fix it.  I assume something
is supposed to keep them in sync?

--
 - mdz