aufs based upgrade tests

Michael Vogt mvo at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 16 10:24:16 GMT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 01:40:22AM +0900, John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 3:19 AM, Michael Vogt <mvo at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Feedback is welcome, here is how to enable it:
>
> This worked as well as I would expect given that my mirror (iinet) is
> missing many Jaunty files.

Thanks for giving it a try!

> Perhaps it would be better not to overlay the /var/apt/cache
> directory, so as to save the user from having to download files twice?
> (I am not aware of any danger except that it could potentially cause
> the /var partition to run out of free space if it didn't start with
> enough free space.)

Thanks, that is a good suggestion, I added it in bzr and it will be
part of the next upload.

> > dialog saying "Sandbox mode". If you don't see that, something is
>
> FYI, I didn't see that dialog until I had clicked both
>     Update Manager->Upgrade
>     Release notes->Upgrade
> downloaded the upgrade tool and entered my password. By that stage I
> was a little worried that I had not seen the "Sandbox mode" dialog.
> Perhaps this dialog could be displayed earlier? (before having to
> enter the password at least?)

This is a bit tricky, I see what I can do. The update-manager in
intrepid does not know about this new mode, its relatively dumb and
just downloads the right code. That knows about the sandbox mode. I
should make this more obvious in my description at least.

Cheers,
 Michael